Suspect a natural gas leak? Look, listen and smell for signs.
Practicing safety means knowing what to do and taking action to protect yourself. Get the latest information about the signs of a natural gas leak. Remember, a gas leak can be recognized by sight, smell or sound. And, keep in mind that natural gas can be ignited from an open flame, a lit cigarette, or anything that can cause a spark, even static electricity.
Don’t turn a light switch on or off and don’t operate any electronic device, power tool or vehicle, or other equipment that can cause a spark. Be aware that gas blowing from a plastic pipe may create static electricity that can ignite the gas.
If you suspect a gas leak, immediately evacuate the area, and from a safe location, call Southern California Gas Company at 1-800-427-2200 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or call 911.